The month of September is marked by significant missionary events. The most important of them is the missionary expedition of 22 Salesians to Mongolia, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Siberia, Japan, Australia, Great Britain, Spain, Ireland, Ecuador, Antilles, D. R. of Congo and the new foundation in Malaysia. There are 3 missionaries from Europe, 2 from America, 4 from Africa and 13 from Asia. They will receive a formation in Rome and in places of Salesian importance. They will be sent out, together with the FMA missionaries, on September 24, from the Basilica of Mary Help of Christians. This month we also begin a three-month-long on-going course of formation on Mission ministry. 20 Salesians (5 missionaries from Africa, 14 from America and 1 from Asia) will start a pilgrimage to Salesian sites on 17 September. Then, along with other participants, they will continue at the UPS, Rome. They will fresh on up their missionology, spirituality and salesianity. The programme culminates with a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
All these confreres of ours, the very young and the very experienced, will offer the Congregation and the Church a renewed and intelligent missionary enthusiasm. They will learn to bring Christ to confront the new challenges of the world and of today’s youth. Let us pray for these Salesians and also for all of us, so that we may bring the fire of the Holy Spirit wherever the Lord desires to.
1. S. Joseph ABUTO – Kenya (AFE) -> Japan (GIA)
2. S. Jeswin MASTAM – India (INB) -> Japan (GIA)
3. L. Jorge CHORRO – El Salvador (CAM) -> Papua New Guinea (PGS)
4. S. Jeevan LEWIS – India (INP) ->Papua New Guinea (PGS)
5. S. Jude MALIAKAL – India (INK) -> Antilles (ANT)
6. S. Jacque MASSA – R.D. Congo (ACC) -> Antilles (ANT)
7. S. Martin Paul PUSHPARAJ – India (INK) -> Great Britain (GBR)
8. S. Anthony LEUNG – China (CIN) -> Great Britain (GBR)
9. P. Peter Lai Vu Son LAM – Vietnam (VIE) -> D. R. Congo (ACC)
10. L. Joseph Chu Nhat TAN – Vietnam (VIE) -> D. R. Congo (ACC)
11. P. Peter Nguyen Anh VU – Vietnam (VIE) -> Australia (AUL)
12. S. Norbet MAMBA – D. R. Congo (ACC) -> Spain (SMX)
13. S. Isrrael HERNÁNDEZ – Venezuela (VEN) -> Spain (SMX)
14. S. Emmanuel NIYOYITUNGIRA – Burundi (AGL) -> Russia – Yakutsk (SLK)
15. S. Joseph RAYMOND – India (INM) -> Russia – Yakutsk (SLK)
16. P. Arkadiusz ORZECHOWSKI – Poland (PLN) -> Ireland (IRL)
17. P. Mario DOS SANTOS – East Timor (ITM) -> Mongolia (VIE)
18. L. Manuel RUPÉREZ ARROYO – Spain (SSM) -> Malaysia (FIN)
19. P. Ramón BORJA – Philippines (FIN) -> Malaysia (FIN)
20. P. Eugene MAGLASANG – Philippines (FIS) -> Pakistan (FIS)
21. P. Joaquim FOLQUÉ – Spain (SMX) -> Ecuador (ECU)
22. P. André BELO – East Timor (ITM) -> Malaysia (FIN)
The Blessed Martyr Titus Zeman (1915-1969), writes to his cousin to wish him at his marriage: “I wish you all the best. May you have a happy married life accompanied by the grace of God and his blessings; may you fulfill the will of God who created us and has given us the grace of becoming Christians so that you can receive his sacraments, such as the marriage you have committed your-self to. I will continue to pray for you, that you have a new, blessed and happy life. While praying for you, I also ask you to pray for me. Your Titus.” Fr. Titus then draws the symbol of the cross by his own hand, adding the following statement: “In moments of suffering, look at the cross and you will be relieved of the pain in your heart.”
That every Salesian may be a missionary according to the heart of Don Bosco.
With our hearts turned to the Basilica of Mary Help of Christians at Valdocco, from where Don Bosco himself sent out the first missionary expedition of 1875, we pray for each of the members of the expedition of 2017. Each year there is an increasing multi-culturality and inter-continentality of these groups of Salesians, Salesian sisters and lay people, most of them very young, from all over the world to all over the world. Every year the missionary mandate of Jesus is concretized in Don Bosco’s family through this powerful and fruitful sign.
Download Cagliero11 – September 2017 in PDF